diverse = 'ethnically different'

Ronald Butters ronbutters at AOL.COM
Wed Jan 19 17:08:45 UTC 2011

Again, it seems more accurate to say that "diverse" does not MEAN 'non-white' in the contexts that Leslie indicates, but that we INFER that that is the intended sense in which it is to be interpreted, based on the context. On the other hand,

"This museum is very diverse" probably indicates just that the museum has a wide variety of artistic works.
"This agenda is very diverse" indicates most likely a wide variety of subjects to be taken up.
"This menu/winelist/dessert offering is very diverse" indicates a wide variety of potables.
"Christianity is very diverse" will not be taken to refer to ethnicity but to patterns of belief.

If a dictionary had to define "diverse" according to all the inferable senses of "diverse," it would be as big as China.