diverse => 'ethnically different'

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 19 17:37:23 UTC 2011

This really reeks of use/misuse distinction or, at least, the assumption
of "non-standard" usage. But we already have a parallel in "coed".
Certainly, "coed" means something that involves an educational
opportunity for both sexes--whether it's an entire school, a college
dorm or something else. But "coed" is often used to indicate women only
and has been nouned in that sense--when some Neanderthal refers to a
"sexy coed" he certainly does not imply any sense of androgeny. Are you
going to say that when used in that context that it "does not MEAN"
women[-only] but that "we INFER that that is the intended sense"? Or do
you simply imply that there is a difference between the two because
"coed" has been around much longer with its dual meanings?

      VS-)