road monkey (antedating 1885 Feb 24) brush monkey (1885 Feb 24)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 22 13:59:54 UTC 2011

Those dates for both "road monkey" and "brush monkey" beat HDAS by many
years.

"Powder monkey" was virtually a standard term in the 19th C.  There was even
a stage song about "Little Powder Monkey Jim."

JL