"Toenailed": of nails

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 23 07:28:08 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 6:56 PM, Norm Jensen <normjensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> _Tailnail_ is beyond my comprehension.

Likewise, I'm sure. :-)

As for your suggested definition, thank you. That was what I had
intuited toenailing to be, since I've been familiar with what it looks
like from childhood. My grandfathers and my father were right handy.
But, though I've often seen it, it had never occurred to me to wonder
what it was called. I missed out on the handiness gene, myself. I can
tell a crosscut saw from a rip saw from a miter saw. That's about it.
A phrase like "ten-penny nail" - supposing that such a phrase even
exists - means nothing to me.

--
-Wilson
–––

Once that we recognize that we do not err out of laziness, stupidity,
or evil intent, we can uncumber ourselves of the impossible burden of
trying to be permanently right. We can take seriously the proposition
that we could be in error, without necessarily deeming ourselves
idiotic or unworthy.
–Kathryn Schulz