shorthand

Mon Jan 24 00:56:47 UTC 2011

"learn shorthand" gets 1.25 million raw Google hits. Not what one would expect for an allegedly nearly extinct enterprise.

The fact that the OED treats the "transferred and figurative meaning" suggests to me that Victor is right that the nontechnical meaning is widespread--so much so, in fact, that it is scarcely a metaphor at all. I suspect that that has been the case for 50 years or more (remember the Dictaphone?). How long has the OED had that meaning? The answer to that question would tell us a lot.

Sent from my iPad