Univac

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Mon Jan 24 18:53:08 UTC 2011

Ouch!!!  You're right, Joel.  Garson's post includes both Asimov stating AND
a character stating ...

<<
"Univac" is an acronym for "Universal Analog Computer," but I chose to
consider it "Uni-vac" ("one vacuum tube") and invented my own favorite
computer, "Multivac." In "Franchise," I had Multivac select (by
methods best known to itself) .

http://books.google.com/books?id=R7faAAAAMAAJ&q=uni-vac#search_anchor

Hence, Asimov says he knew the accurate etymology, but based his name
on a fanciful etymology similar to the one given by Robin Hamilton.

Yet, a story published by Asimov in 1956 "The Last Question" suggests
another etymology. Asimov mentions the "Multivac" and then posits a
more advanced computer called "Microvac". He offers this elaboration:

Someone had once told Jerrodd that the "ac" at the end of "Microvac"
stood for "analog computer" in ancient English, but he was on the edge
of forgetting even that.

http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html

I noted the "Jerrodd" = character above, and conveniently abolished the part
where, in his own person, Asimov derives "Univac" from "Universal Analog
Computer" rather than "Universal Automatic Computer".

On the other hand, to my ear, "Universal Automatic Computer" is so awkward
and cludgy that it simply begs to be replaced by something more euphonious,
which right or wrong, Asimov's revised "Universal Analog Computer" is.

I mean, John W. Campbell, jr, must have thought so, otherwise why rename
_Astounding_ as _Analog [Science Fact and Fiction]_?

Robin