Quote or Proverb: My boys trust in the Lord, and keep your powder dry (antedating 1832 February 28)

Tue Jan 25 15:50:29 UTC 2011

Many thanks to Joel for performing a thoughtful analysis of these
documents in GB and for sharing his findings. Here is a description of
the analysis I made when I found the quotation in "Old South
Leaflets". Judging relevance to the time range 1832-1835 (or earlier)
was the focus.

The text containing the phrase "Trust in God, and keep your powder
dry" appears to be commentary because it is written in a different,
smaller font. It apparently was added after 1869 and probably after
1898.

The quote occurs in "Old South Leaflets No. 134: Fourth of July
Oration 1802". Within the commentary there is a reference to a death
in 1811. So the commentary was written after the main date given on
the leaflet. Scrolling backward I found "Old South Leaflets No. 133:
Seward's Address on Alaska at Sitka, August 12, 1869". This suggests
that the commentary on the successor numbered leaflet 134 was added
after 1869.

Within the volume there are matches for years such as 1890, 1895 and
1898. So I think that volume viewed as a collection was assembled
sometime after 1898. But the leaflets (and commentary) at the
beginning of the volume might have been created earlier. Nevertheless,
the 1869 date is probably a lower bound for the commentary in leaflet
134.
Garson