The initial "so"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 26 19:31:06 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at stanford.edu> wrote:

> it's hard to search the archives for.

FWIW, I don't have a genuine problem with that syntactic structure -
IMO, it's a little funny in the ha-hah sense, but otherwise fully
grammatical - but I like

It's hard to search the archives for _it_

better.

It's a case of what a person is accustomed to hearing. I had no idea
that there was anything comical about, e.g. "chop suey" or "egg
fu-yong" till I happened to mention these Chinese dishes to the bruz
and cuz in Marshall, back in the day. The locals _fell out_ ("burst
into laughter," in this case), having a hard time believing that these
noises could be anything but jibber-jabber that I had made up on the
spot in order to be entertaining.

--
-Wilson
–––