"booster" = shoplifter, antedating to 1911; also "stuss-house" (?)

Fri Jul 1 18:06:26 UTC 2011

Here is an instance of booster (meaning shoplifter) in 1900.

Cite: 1900 December 23, Chicago Daily Tribune, Seventh Holiday in
Jail, Page 3, Chicago, Illinois. (ProQuest)

For the seventh time in seven years Robert Simpson will eat his
Christmas dinner in jail. Yesterday he pleaded with Justice Martin to
allow him his freedom during the holiday. "It would be the only
Christmas present I ever got," he said, as he bowed before the...

"He is a 'booster' and pickpocket," said Detective McWeeney. "I have
arrested him  a dozen times for 'boosting.'"

"Boosting " in the parlance of the detectives means stealing from stores.

Garson