strong enough = 'able'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 3 13:00:45 UTC 2011

>FWIW, I read _strong_ as being used here ironically to mean
"(intellectually) weak" or "stupid."

This interpretation seems to me unlikely, because the speaker's tone was one
of amusement but not, I think, of irony.  He seemed to think that if Hamlet
had killed Claudius right off, he'd have saved himself a lot of trouble
later. It would have improved the play. But who's to say?

As for "ghos'," my point was to emphasize the informal,
working-class quality of the longer utterance from which the ex. was
lifted.  If he'd said, for example, "I'm gonna," I'da wrote "gonna" too.
Even though we both have an underlying "going to."

JL