Grammar question -- "from throughout the year"?

Randy Alexander strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 3 13:23:04 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 11:53 AM, Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would expect "throughout the year" to be adverbial or adjectival. Here
> it's a noun, and looks wrong. Given the availability of alternatives
> ("newspapers published throughout the year", "from the entire year"), I
> would rewrite it.

Sorry for coming to this so late.

I agree with the idea of re-writing it, but it is perfectly grammatical.
"Throughout the year" is not a noun, but a preposition phrase, and many
prepositions can take preposition phrases as complement.  "From" does this
often enough, as in "He came from around the corner".

Randy

--
Randy Alexander
Xiamen, China