Q: OED quotations for "flying

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 4 22:25:39 UTC 2011

Not necessarily a goof. I've come across several instances of similar
divisions. Without mind-reading, there are a couple of possibilities. First,
this could occur in the case where the more general expression is actually
an extension of the more specific rather than the specific being an instant
of the more general. This could occur either by coincidence--the word simply
might not have been used in other situations--or as direct outgrowth--the
expression became associated with a particular quality of the collocation
and transferred to other situations. There is also the possibility that one
subentry is an update of the other or a split that did not exist in the
earlier edition. There may, of course, be other possibilities.

VS-)