"slut" in the news

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 7 02:29:11 UTC 2011

On Jul 6, 2011, at 10:10 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> Yeah, but most of those are OK now, so replacements are needed.
>
> JL

I'm not the first to suggest that ethnic slurs, especially the strongest ones, are more taboo now in a variety of contexts than most of Carlin's milder unmentionables ("piss" for one, "tits" for another).  The seven charter members of the Carlin club, if anyone is keeping score, were
Shit
Piss
Fuck
Cunt
Cocksucker
Motherfucker
Tits
Cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words for commentary.

Note the Broadway (or Off-Broadway) play now running successfully named either "The ____ With The Hat" or, according to the Times, "The Mother With the Hat".  Affects the referent, I'd think.  The philosophical treatise _On Bullshit_ by Harry Frankfurt was #1 on the best-seller list not that long ago.  I forget how the Times referred to that one.  _On Bull_?  All seven, of course, occur quite freely on late-night cable.

> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:

>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
>> Subject:      Re: "slut" in the news

>> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Jonathan Lighter
>> <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> -----------------------
>>> Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>> Poster: Â  Â  Â  Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
>>> Subject: Â  Â  Â Re: "slut" in the news

>>> For some reason I can't fathom, it looks like my last two comments on
>> this
>>> subject went to Nancy Friedman alone. Sorry, Nancy!

>>> July 3:
>>>
>>> Tot-mom attorney Jose Baez claimed in his closing argument that his
>> client
>>> was being defamed as a "lying, no-good slut." Â Later, the Headline News
>> team
>>> expressed amazement that producers had not bleeped the word. Jane
>>> Velez-Mitchell said she'd sought guidance about whether she could repeat
>> it
>>> on the air.
>>>
>>> In my day, though "slut" was obviously insulting (and thus "offensive"),
>> it
>>> was not usually thought to be indecent.
>>>
>>> JL
>>> II