"slut" in the news

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 7 05:41:24 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 10:29 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
> All seven, of course, occur quite freely on late-night cable.

Depends on where you live, a fink. Around these parts, Comedy Central
gets away with _shit_ and _piss_ and any mammalian reference
whatsoever on South Park and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. The
big boys get away with _ass_ and _piss_ and denatured ebonicisms like
"hit that (ass), tap that ass/boody." But all Carlinics are bleeped
out even on Springer, Judges, Adult Swim - though AS is clearly not
serious about it and on a show like The Boondocks, _nigger_ is never
censored in any of its combinations, permutations, probabilities, and
probabilities. _Jew_ and _liberal_ as slurs also pass muster. The
sentence, "I'm going to have _my Jews_  /  _my Hebrews_ (= "my legal
department"; do you recall Archie Bunker's "Get yourself a good _Jew
lawyer_" from back in the day?) get on this" et sim. occurs. You may
not hear _fuck_, but you do hear "-uck" and "fuh." And, of course,
nobody cares if even women "get a piece" / "get some," on any channel,
these days. Back in *my* youth, the only that women ever got was
"laid." Otherwise, they could only "_give_ it up." The same _give it
up_ as in, e.g. "Dave Chappelle, y'all! Give it up!" It used to be a
kind of hip, inside joke between the MC and the men in the audience.
Boojie chicks were pretty much in the dark WRT guy-talk, it being the
case that boojie studs were always extremely courtly in the presence
of any member of the fair sex, especially if it was somebody's mother
or sister! To paraphrase Twain, "Women didn't even know the words, let
alone the music!" Of course, it's possible that a lot of chicks were
hip. But, if they were, then they knew better than to make that
knowledge manifest. Unless, of course, they didn't care about moving
from the pedestal to the gutter.

Etc.
--
-Wilson