Request for examples of children's speech

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Fri Jul 8 16:56:25 UTC 2011

On Jul 8, 2011, at 9:10 AM, Cohen, Gerald Leonard wrote:

>     I am presently compiling examples of children's misintepretations of what they hear from adults,
> e.g. (from a 3-year-old girl): "Our father, who art in heaven, Hollywood [hallowed] be thy name," ...

this is a very rich vein of material, of eggcornish reinterpretations of material that is opaque to children ("Gladly, the cross-eyed bear" and the like). On my blog not long ago, "reptile dysfunction":

http://arnoldzwicky.wordpress.com/2011/02/13/reptile-dysfunction/

i'd be surprised if there weren't already collections on the net.

arnold