"uterus" an indecorous word? ("slut" in the news)

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at ISCHOOL.BERKELEY.EDU
Fri Jul 8 18:02:43 UTC 2011

Add "anal" to the CNN banned list: in playing an audio of the chanting outside a women's center that got the Yale fraternity DKE in trouble last October ("No Means Yes! Yes Means Anal!"), CNN bleeped out the 'anal'. Kyra Phillips explained, "You can look online if you want to know the bleeped word."

However she did quote in its phonetic fullness the text of a poster that appeared at an earlier Yale event: "We love Yale sluts."

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2010/10/19/nr.yale.hazing.cnn?iref=allsearch

Geoff