Phrase: the old, slam-bang, thank-you-ma'ams (automobile tires circa 1925 probably)

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 8 18:42:47 UTC 2011

Also see this from Dialect Notes, Vol. 1, 1890

breaker: ridge of earth in hilly part of country road, to throw surface
■water into side ditches. Springdale, Pa. (Other names for same thing:
"*thank-you-ma'am,"
cradle (in-the-road).') *[In Conn. "*water-butt" *is the usual word; *
"thank-you-ma'am" *is known. — E. H. B. Other names are known; reports are
solicited.]

DanG