put foot in mouth

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 9 02:37:06 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Garson O'Toole
<adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com> wrote:
> The American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms (1997) has an entry for
> "put one's foot in one's mouth": Say something foolish, embarrassing,
> or tactless. AHDI says the expression "dates from around 1900."

1903: "Toodles ... put his foot in his mouth."

http://goo.gl/e5uUs

or look in GB under

"put his foot in his mouth"

But none of these cites has anything to do with "_the origin_ of
'putting your foot in your mouth'," whatever the questioner may
actually intend by that.

--
-Wilson
-----