Famous quotation about the weather in San Francisco (Duluth in 1900) and a mystery volume with restricted access in Google Books

Mon Jul 11 23:44:57 UTC 2011

George, with your interpretation of "open winter" the core joke becomes:

Have you ever known such a warm winter?
Yes, last summer.

is that right?