"They was trying to hand me out a flyer."

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Tue Jul 12 14:25:09 UTC 2011

I remember a song in Sunday school as a kid, one line of which went, "Hand me down my silver trumpet, Gabriel." I found the syntax interesting at the time. Not actually bad, but interesting because of the garden-path effect of "hand me down," which I suspect is the same thing going on when "hand me out a flyer" sounds odd.

Neal