"They was trying to hand me out a flyer."

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Tue Jul 12 15:36:36 UTC 2011

        All of these work for me as a speaker of American English, at
least in informal contexts.  Why does "hand me out a flyer" throw me for
a loop?

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Stone, William
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 11:11 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "They was trying to hand me out a flyer."

As a speaker of standard and rural non-standard southern British
English, I find myself in total agreement with Damien. Whenever a
phrasal verb becomes ditransitive by the addition of an indirect object,
it is inserted between the verb and the particle as in the examples
below.

Could you hand me down that book?
I'll fry you up some eggs.
She wrote me down a list of chores.

The indirect object doesn't even have to be a pronoun.
Pick Carol up some asprin at the chemist.

Dr. William J. Stone
Associate Professor
TESL Ptogram
Northeastern Illinois University