"They was trying to hand me out a flyer."

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jul 12 18:25:27 UTC 2011

On Jul 12, 2011, at 10:25 AM, Neal Whitman wrote:

> I remember a song in Sunday school as a kid, one line of which went, "Hand me down my silver trumpet, Gabriel."

or "Hand me down my walking cane", from another song.  But these are both "hand down *to* me", with the pronoun as recipient, while the "hand me out a flyer" involves a kind of benefactive, one closer to the "ethical dative" in German, French, and many other languages, a kind of secondary beneficiary affected by but not intimately connected to the action.  In other languages, this is freer ("You need to do me your homework").  This isn't, however, the "personal dative" of southern/mountain U.S. English, which is coreferential with the subject ("She needs her a new pickup truck").

LH