"anachronism" and the OED

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 12 20:24:50 UTC 2011

I agree completely.

When I was in seventh grade, in the Mesolithic, we were told that the
striking clock in _Julius Caesar_ was an "anachronism."  It may even have
been in a printed footnote in our textbook.

I remember because, needless to say, I'd never heard the word "anachronism"
before. For a while I confused it  with "anarchism," which I believe I first
read on the back of a bubblegum card, in connection with the assassination
of Pres. McKinley by Leon Czolgosz in 1901.

Predictable whine: They don't make bubblegum cards like they used to.

JL