Famous quotation about the weather in San Francisco (Duluth in 1900) and a mystery volume with restricted access in Google Books

Tue Jul 12 21:08:34 UTC 2011

Fantastic! Thanks Stephen. As you noted "The Life of Mr. James Quin,
comedian" is a reprint according to the "Prefatory Note" which states:

The first portion of the following work is a reprint of the
exceedingly scarce life of James Quin published in 1766

The quip appears on page 100 and may be part of the added material.
WorldCat and the University of North Carolina catalog give a
publication date of 1887, but I cannot find that date in the scanned
images of the GB copy. The year 1864 is mentioned on page 12. But an
erratum on page 107 says "Page 12  - for 1864 read 1684" so that
occurrence is a misprint.

http://books.google.com/books?id=6FwLAAAAIAAJ&q=erratum#v=snippet&

The version of the joke in "The Life of Mr. James Quin, comedian" is
intriguing and does differ from the version Mark Twain heard credited
to Quin.

The "The Letters of Horace Walpole, Earl of Orford" were published in
multiple editions. The first publication date that I can see in Google
Books is dated 1840.

http://books.google.com/books?id=tRtEAAAAcAAJ&q=%22bad+a+winter%22#v=snippet&

The occurrence of a variant of the joke in Sporting Magazine appears
to be circa 1846 so it may have been created by someone who had read
(or been influenced by) "The Letters of Horace Walpole, Earl of
Orford".

The version of the quip in the "The Letters of Horace Walpole" is
similar to the version that Mark Twain attributed to Quin in 1880. The
"Letters" were reprinted several times. Below is a link to an edition
in 1866. So the joke may have been transmitted to Mark Twain directly
or indirectly via an edition of the "Letters". Twain said that Quin
made his witty remark more than one hundred years ago. The letter with
the gag is given a date of 1789 (as Stephen notes) in the "Letters",
so Twain may have had knowledge of that date, or he may have been told
about that approximate date.

http://books.google.com/books?id=vBoRAAAAYAAJ&q=%22bad+a+winter%22#v=snippet&

Garson