"anachronism" and the OED

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Jul 12 22:22:05 UTC 2011

At 7/12/2011 04:38 PM, Dan Goncharoff wrote:
>I am confused.
>
>Isn't the fact that this is sense 2 of anachronism demonstrate that it
>doesn't restrict use of the term to practical anachronism?
>
>What is sense 1? I don't have the OED available to me at the moment.

Sense 1 is about something else:

1. An error in computing time, or fixing dates; the erroneous
reference of an event, circumstance, or custom to a wrong date. Said
etymologically (like prochronism) of a date which is too early, but
also used of too late a date, which has been distinguished as parachronism.

What bothers me is the "hence" in sense 2.  A "therefore" makes it
seem that what follows -- "anything which was proper to a *former*
age" -- is an explanation of "Anything done or existing out of date",
not one of several possible examples of that.

Joel