Voltaire & Baudouin I

Thu Jul 14 14:29:01 UTC 2011

JL wrote:
> Minutes later: Neither YBQ, Bartlett's latest, or Oxford appears to include
> either quote!  But I noted the Baudouin many years ago from a similar work.
> (An earlier Bartlett's?)

The quotation from Baudouin I, King of the Belgians does appear in
snippets from Encarta (2000) and a Military Quotation Book (2002). The
saying is probably in The Macmillan Dictionary of Political Quotations
(1993) and The New International Dictionary of Quotations (2000), but
both these references are in "No Preview" mode so the matching words
are not visible.

Encarta book of quotations
Bill Swainson 2000
http://books.google.com/books?id=Af84fBmzmVYC&q=%22twenty+seconds%22#v=snippet&

The military quotation book: more than 1,200 of the best
James Charlton 2002
http://books.google.com/books?id=zNdFW5LIBzgC&q=%22peace+to%22#v=snippet&

The Macmillan dictionary of political quotations
Lewis D. Eigen, Jonathan Paul Siegel 1993

The new international dictionary of quotations
Margaret Miner, Hugh Rawson 2000

Political quotations: a collection of notable sayings on politics
Daniel B. Baker 1990