coloured folk

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 15 18:46:40 UTC 2011

On Jul 15, 2011, at 2:21 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> When I did some research on the occurrences of
> "black", "Negro", "nigger", "niger", etc., I did
> not think to look for "colo[u]red" [folk, people,
> men, women, ???].  Perhaps not very interesting
> to the OED, which seems to treat these as just instances of "coloured" 2.b.
>
> But for "colored folk" -- In 18th Century
> Newspapers (aka EAN), the earliest I see are two
> instances of "colored folk" in 1831, both from
> the Rhode-Island Republican {Newport] and both in
> speech purported to be the dialect of the
> "colored folk".  I find no instances of "coloured
> folk" that are not "coloured silk".
>
> "The colored people" and "the colored race" start in the late 1780s.
>
> Joel

“person(s)/people of colo(u)r” also goes back a lot farther than I’d once thought, as I realized when I saw the term in a letter related to the Amistad trial (1840).  The OED has a cite from 1797, but in a context making it clear it’s used for those of mixed race, not in the “colored folk” sense.

LH