"aparcalypse"?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jul 17 15:45:31 UTC 2011

On Jul 17, 2011, at 11:27 AM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> At 7/16/2011 10:23 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:
>> "Carpocalypse" and "Aparcalypse" have also been seen/heard.

The latter not yet on google, FWIW.

> "Aparcalypse" -- from a- [not] and "park"?  meaning something like
> "the time when cars on the 405 during rush hour will not seem to be
> parked"?  (That is, will not be seen to be not moving.)
>
> Clever -- unless I've mistook the etymology.

I’m not sure whether you’re overthinking or I’m underthinking.  I was assuming any cars still on the 405 once it’s closed *would* appear to be parked, so it’s a simple blend of “park” and “apocalypse”.  And “Carpocalypse” was apparently a TV series (must have missed it) from 6 years ago, as well as having been used for various demolition derbies, video games, and such.  I think “carmageddon” demolishes the competition.

LH