the moose's problem (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tue Jul 19 06:04:39 UTC 2011

Here is an instance of the same basic joke in 1872. Given this
longevity the idea that Heinlein was referring to it is more
plausible. The phrasing of the punchline is different. Here are the
final sentences of the joke:

Cite: 1872, A Noble Lord by Emma Dorothy Eliza Nevitte Southworth,
Pages 81-82, T.B. Peterson & Brothers, Philadelphia. (Google Books
full view)

"Oh well, if you must know," coolly returned the Captain, "I was but
wondering how the deuce those majestic deer, with antlers branching
ten feet wide, managed to bound through those magnificent forests
where the titanic oak trees stand but three feet apart."

For a moment the Colonel was dumbfounded, and then he exclaimed:

"By Jupiter, sir, that was their business - not mine, or yours!"

http://books.google.com/books?id=edFaj6KZBHgC&q=impenetrable#v=snippet&

Garson