pet peeves

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 21 15:42:36 UTC 2011

Just wanted to add a comment on one of the items Lynne included in the post.

"I'm good" does not mean the same thing as "I'm well". Arguably, "I'm good"
is more common as a response to an offer of assistance ("Would you like a
refill?" "No, I'm good.") than a response to a question of state of
well-being. I don't think "I'm well" would work in this situation,
irrespectively of whether it is an Americanism or not. (Is it more being
slang than Americanism that ticks people off?)

VS-)