"needs washed": P.S.

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Wed Jul 27 16:15:12 UTC 2011

--

This is interesting (thanks) and I've just started to look at it.

My remarks on the "Syntactic Properties":

<<As pointed out in Brassil (2009), "need washed" sentences:>>

<<do not admit the presence of a "by-phrase" (unlike passives, and like
middles): Her dress needs washed (*by Alexis)>>

--

This doesn't seem right to me. Google (e.g.) <<"needs checked by">> for
a couple dozen examples which seem (to me) entirely natural for

As for the construction with "want": Google (e.g.) (preferably with
NetNanny disabled, I guess) <<"wants laid by">> (the less squeamish can
try the comparable expression with the F-word, etc.).

--

<<allow the presence of a purpose clause (like passives, and unlike
middles): Rice needs cooked in order to round out the meal.>>

--

Right.

--

<<express generic statements and not punctual events (unlike passives,
and like middles): These laminate floors need cleaned (*at noon).>>

--

I'm not sure about this one. Of course there is not unanimity on these
things. I find only sparse counterexamples by Google: e.g., "That means

--

<<exhibit lexical restrictions - that is, are not possible with all
transitive verbs: *Dave needs invited.>>

--

Maybe there are lexical restrictions, I don't know, but the example is
not convincing. Google (e.g.) <<"need invited" -"in need">> for numerous

IIRC there is a map for "needs washed" in Labov's atlas which can be
seen by "search inside" at Amazon.

-- Doug Wilson