Heard on NOVA:

Jocelyn Limpert jocelyn.limpert at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 28 06:32:51 UTC 2011

I totally agree with you and learned the same pronunciation as you,
pronouncing the initial "c" and not dropping it. These days I am forever
hearing TV newspeople and others dropping the initial "c" sound in both
Arctic and Antarctic. It bothers me, as to my ear it sounds "wrong"!