Prehistory of Term "Tin Pan Alley"

Gerald Cohen gcohen at MST.EDU
Thu Jul 28 19:24:17 UTC 2011

Fred's hypothesis  (last parag. below) is supported by a comment in the 1903
newspaper article spotted by Barry Popik (6/28/2003 ads-l message):
"...Now, 'Tin Pan Alley' is considered a term of reproach by the Tin Pan
Alleyites.  They prefer to designate it as 'Melody Lane.' But that is a
poetic fancy that those who go down that way to hear the 'new, big screaming
hits' do not indulge in."

G. Cohen

-