Heard on NOVA:

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 28 19:08:15 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 2:32 AM, Jocelyn Limpert
<jocelyn.limpert at gmail.com> quoted:
> The pronunciation that I was specifically taught to use ca. 1945 - as
> opposed to the "spelling-pronunciation," [arktIk] - still lives.

Whoa! Is *my* face red! That poorly-constructed sentence should read:

"_That_ pronunciation, _[ar.tIk]_, that I was specifically taught to
use ca. 1945 - as opposed to the 'spelling-pronunciation,'
[arktIk]..."

And by _.t_, I mean that the /t/ was given an slight,
syllable-initial-style (slight) aspiration.

My apologies to the list.

--
-Wilson
-----