"Stuck on the Van Wyck"? New York dialect

Wed Jun 1 02:11:30 UTC 2011

When i moved back east in 1964 as a kid, I instinctively said "Van Wike" (because I'd already heard of the painter Van Dyck), only to be corrected--by locals (well, Jerseyites, who were locals to me).  "Howston", of course, I got wrong, despite parents from NYC (and when I moved to Scotland, got it wrong again--it was a strain to call Dougie Houston, the Partick Thistle football player "Doogie Hooston", but that's what it is over there, and so is the Renfrewshire town "Hooston").  I would have guessed "Vee-zee", though.

Paul Johnston