Fwd: Re: _Kiss my grits!_ = "Kiss my ass!," by a writer for The Family Guy

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jun 1 02:39:34 UTC 2011

At 9:54 PM -0400 5/31/11, Alice Faber wrote:

>>Nothing relevant for "grits", though. And since
>>we don't have the T volume (curse you, Random
>>House!), we may never know if "tochus" derives
>>from the "toe Käse".
>
>Assuming Larry isn't being facetious (never a safe assumption)

Indeed.  No, I wasn't actually proposing the
above derivation.  But actually what I heard
growing up was usually not "tochus" but what I
later inferred (correctly? incorrectly?) was its
derivative (in the manner of "goshdarn", "fudge",
or "shucks")--"tushie" (or "tush").  Hey, it's in
the OED--it is in fact the "abbrev. or dimin." of
_tochus_.  Which is also in the OED, with every
possible spelling under the sun (or where it
don't shine).

LH