OED's "bogey" and "par"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Jun 1 23:55:09 UTC 2011

At 6/1/2011 07:39 PM, Dan Goncharoff wrote:

>OED has no sense of "scratch" meaning "nothing" or "zero", the
>handicap of a scratch player, or a player who plays "from scratch"?

I think not (b. below refers quite specifically
to a "starting point"), but (1) you can decide
for yourself; and (2) the notion above for a
contest seems somewhat stretched to apply to
"bogey" and "par" for individual holes.

scratch, n.1
5.a,  a. Sport. A line or mark drawn as an
indication of a boundary or starting-point; †in
Cricket, a ‘crease’ (obs.); in Pugilism, the line
drawn across the ring, to which boxers are
brought for an encounter. Hence in various
phrases (often fig.), as to come up to (the)
scratch , up to the required standard; to bring
to the scratch , to toe the scratch , etc.
   b. The starting-point in a handicap of a
competitor who receives no odds; sometimes
colloq. used ellipt. for such a competitor. Also
fig.; esp. in phr. from scratch, from a position
of no advantage, knowledge, influence, etc., from nothing.

Joel