Kick the bucket (antedating grammatical variant 1778 February; also 1780)

Thu Jun 2 23:43:45 UTC 2011

Joel mentioned that the OED has a first cite of 1785 for "kick the
bucket". I think that the following grammatical variant qualifies as
an instance of the idiom, but the experts may wish to examine it for
form and meaning.

Cite: 1778 February, The London Review [Correspondence To the London
Reviewers from M. MacGreggor dated February 20, 1778] Page 156 (Poem
starts), Page 158 (Quotation),  Printed for the Authors, Sold by T,
Evans, Pater-Noster-Row , London. (Google Books full view)

The Bustle Among the Busts; Or, The Poets-Coner in an Uproar.
Occasioned by the Appearance of Dr. Goldsmith's Monument in
Westminster-Abber. A Poem in Two Cantos.
by M. MacGreggor, Esq.
…
I wonder, indeed, he was not here before;
As the bucket he kick'd, now, a twelvemonth, or more.

http://books.google.com/books?id=dVEJAAAAQAAJ&q=%22he+kick%27d%22#v=snippet&

If the 1778 cite is inadequate here is one in 1780:

Cite: 1780 May, The London magazine, For the London Magazine:
Observations on the Errors and Corruptions that have Crept into the
English Language Page 201. Column 2, Printed for R. Baldwin, London.

I will pocket the affront till you arrive; as to your enquiries about
old Wentworth, poor man! he died extremely rich; his disease stuck so
close to him that it has obliged him to kick the bucket, upon which
there is a strange dust raised, and reflections are bandied about by
his relations touching the will, who suspect there has been a good
deal shuffleing, and some treacherous cards played in it, ...