Not in HDAS?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jun 3 00:51:27 UTC 2011

At 6:44 PM -0400 6/2/11, Dan Goncharoff wrote:
>I have seen it defined as a rod with a loop of chain at the end used to make
>barrels, and as the chain used by loggers to lash logs together to be
>floated down river. Neither makes sense to me.
>
>DanG

Seems to be a topic for hot debates on the net, for example the ones at
http://blueslyrics.tripod.com/dictionary/stavin_chain.htm
http://www.bluescentric.com/blues/dictionary/index.php

I see that in the latter "Stave 'n Chain" is another possible
analysis--a familiar dilemma (cf. "spittin' image"/"spit 'n' image").
I don't suppose "staven chain", with the past participle, is a live
option in this case, though.

LH