"way overpay" as a unit

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 4 01:51:52 UTC 2011

Is there a "way overbloviate"? My comment on "way V" vs. "way ADV" was meant
to be general. I did not mean to suggest that the present
expression--literally or figuratively--was an ADV.

FWIW, I would not be happy with any of these verbs--productive or not. The
question is HOW this is productive? Are they all back-formed? Or is "way"
being "productive" here?

My point was that in "it's way too much", "way overblown", "way overpaid",
"way" can be analyzed separately from the head word or phrase to which it is
attached. For example, you can replace "way" with "much" in most of these
cases and not lose a whole lot. The only conclusion I can reach on "to way
overpay" is that "way" serves the function of a prefix rather than an
independently formed modifier. "To much overpay" would be just as awkward as
the original.

VS-)