"way overpay" as a unit

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Jun 4 04:34:37 UTC 2011

At 11:42 PM -0400 6/3/11, Dan Goncharoff wrote:
>Why is "way" used as an adverb meaning "exaggeratedly" a problem? it is not
>used in formal writing, but it doesn't klang to my ears.
>
>DanG

Victor's claim wasn't that adverbial "way" sounds odd in general, but
that it sounds odd modifying a verb ("...prepared to way overpay") as
opposed to its use modifying an adjective ("way wrong"), or I assume
a preposiional phrase ("that's way out of line"), or for that matter
a participial adjective ("congressmen are way overpaid").  I agree
with the observation, but YMMV.

LH