milli-Helen, milliHelen, as a unit of beauty (1958 March 11)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 5 20:27:05 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Garson O'Toole
<adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wikipedia contains an article titles "List of Humorous Units of
> Measurement" that includes a discussion of the miliHelen and connects
> the term to Cambridge mathematician W.A.H. Rushton and Isaac Asimov:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_humorous_units_of_measurement

W:pedia, loc.cit.:

Pleasure: Hedon
Philosophers talking about Jeremy Bentham's Utilitarianism sometimes
use the conceptual unit of the Hedon to describe the amount of
pleasure, equivalent to the amount of pleasure a person receives from
gaining one util of utility.

A friend of mine, Judy, independently developed the concept of the
_hedon_ ['hi,dan] in 1973, defining the _megahedon_ as equivalent to
one by-some-considered-mythological female orgasm.

--
-Wilson
-----