not new, but new to me: _Trivalry_

Sun Jun 5 21:01:38 UTC 2011

 Laurence Horn wrote:
> Mary Carillo, NBC commentator for the tennis grand slams, is fond of
> referring to the current situation in tennis as a _trivalry_, what
> with Novak Djokovic challenging Rafael Nadal for supremacy, but Roger
> Federer--the "old man" at 29--still hanging on, just having defeated
> Djokovic in the French Open semis before losing a tough match with
> Nadal in today's final.  No doubt there have been earlier trivalries
> that motivated the same term, but I don't know how far back it goes.

The Google search engine does not wish to cooperate.  It would be much
happier if you searched for something reasonable like "Tri Valley",
and not some odd term like "trivalry" which must be a misspelling.
Here is a citation in 2001:

Cite: 2001, The complete idiot's guide to football [2nd Edition] by
Joe Theismann with Brian Tarcy, Page 314, Penguin, New York. (Google
Books preview)

Then, the Green Bay Packers joined the duo in a battle for supremacy
of the NFC. And for a while, the rivalry was really a trivalry.

http://books.google.com/books?id=V5tFm-2-dccC&q=trivalry#v=snippet&

Garson