Travel_ as TRANS

Brian Hitchcock brianhi at SKECHERS.COM
Tue Jun 7 18:21:45 UTC 2011

-- "Pall Mall! Finer cigarettes! And...! They are *mild*! Their greater
length *travels* the smoke farther, on the way to your throat!"

-- "'Cloning' the drive will bring along the Restore partition, so it may be
possible to travel the clone, with Restore partition, from Mac to Mac."

It's not surprising that advertisers (in the 'cigarette' example) and IT
nerds (in the 'cloning' example) misuse the verb 'travel'.  These groups are
notorious for syntactic gaffes.  For these professions, it is indeed a
"mild" misuse amid myriad manglings.  (Note also the extraneous comma after
'farther'.)

In addition, I have heard the verb 'travel' used as business jargon in
regard to paper-based workflow, thus:

"This new program will minimize the traveling of documents.".

(The guy from whom I heard this works with me here in America, but he is
Chinese by birth.)