doughnuts = 'money'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 9 12:46:01 UTC 2011

Daringly, HDAS offers _doughnut_, 'a dollar,' on the basis of a single 1979
citation (from Steve Martin's _The Jerk_). (My policy was to include
single-cite senses of polysemous main entries when the sense seemed
especially plausible and likely to be widely broadcast, as in Steve Martin's
_The Jerk_).

The weather guy on CNN has just warned people who work outdoors in 90 degree
heat to take it easy today, even though "you have to make your doughnuts, so
to speak."

A Google search for "is a lot of doughnuts" turned this up from 2009 - along
with many other exx.: [http://www.commondreams.org/view/2009/01/05-8]: $6.3
billion. That is a lot of doughnuts -- a system-distorting, potentially
corrupting amount of cash.

GB reveals only one monetary "is a lot doughnuts," from 2008.

JL