Lockjaw: Locust Valley (1965), Long Island (1972), Larchmont (1973)

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 12 14:55:08 UTC 2011

I would have expected this to be older.

>From  A William Safire article on Locust Valley lockjaw in 1987:
http://www.nytimes.com/1987/01/18/magazine/on-language.html?scp=1&sq=lockjaw&st=cse

Willard Espy, the wordsman whose most recent book is ''Words to Rhyme With:
A Rhyming Dictionary,'' recalls, ''In the early 1930's, the expression
Larchmont lockjaw was generally restricted to certain upper-class females
from Westchester County, and the affliction was presumably the fault of the
schools they attended.''

DanG