Colloquialism: to see a man about a dog

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jun 16 15:33:57 UTC 2011

At 11:23 AM -0400 6/16/11, George Thompson wrote:
>My father was born in Brooklyn in the early 1890s.

Mine too, only it was the late 1890s.  I don't remember him seeing a
man about either a dog or a horse though, or at least not in so many
words.  In fact I can't remember who I heard actually using the
expression.  Might have been someone(s) in a movie or TV show, in
which case my NYC background would be of limited relevance.

LH