"Chinese overtime" (and "textiled hikers")

Sat Jun 18 02:37:55 UTC 2011

Laurence Horn wrote:
> An article "Swaying in the Breeze" in the same issue of the N.
> H. Advocate written by Dick Morrill, a practitioner of nude hiking
> (increasingly trendy in the Cascades, it would appear) refers to
> clothed individuals he encounters along the trail as "textiled
> hikers", ...

Thanks for sharing the interesting term "textiled hikers". The
following citation appears to be dated circa 1975, and it suggests
that naturists used the word "textile" in constructs referring to
clothed individuals by the 1970s or earlier:

Cite: GB Circa 1975, New Society, GB Page 181, New Society Ltd.
(Google Books snippet; Unverified; Date probes show the volume
contains a July 3, 1975 issue and a July 31, 1975 issue; the volume
might also contain later issues, e.g. 1976-1978)

And by the golf club house, two policemen pointed confidently east
when I asked where the nudists would be. But I had walked a long way
without seeing anything but "textile man" - a naturist term for the
clothed.

http://books.google.com/books?id=qxIHAQAAIAAJ&q=textile#search_anchor

Garson