"Chinese overtime" (and "textiled hikers")

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Jun 18 17:32:05 UTC 2011

Thanks.  Derelict of me not to have checked the OED.  And it's
reassuring to know that we can (just barely ;-)) blame it on the
Sixties, which we already know is solely responsible for the
breakdown in moral order, loss of respect for authority, and priestly
sex abuse.  My only quibble is with the Wiktionary claim that it's an
adjective (much less one with comparative and superlative forms); for
most speakers, I'd wager that "textile beach", "textile hiker", etc.
are nominal compounds, not adj/n phrases (cf. *That beach/hiker seems
textile).  There is this description of a beach from an unavailable
geocities travel diary, however, indicating that for at least one
person "textile" is indeed an adjective:

"A few hundred meters further south it's fairly mixed and then it
gets more and more textile."

LH