"Chinese overtime" (and "textiled hikers")

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 19 09:12:56 UTC 2011

The term "exempt" is quite common and appears to have little to do with
Harvard.

"Officer" was still used at Harvard in 1995--my last ID was from that
year. I don't know when you retired or the term is still in use in some
areas and not others. The distinction was between "officers" and
"staff"--to sort those who were not faculty or students into academic
and non-academic classes. Since I was never faculty, I don't know what
faculty ID said.

Federal law mandates 15 minutes of "lunch" break for every 4 hours of
work. I am not sure what it says about paying for it--it's been a while
since I looked and every job I held since high-school covered a paid
lunch break.

"Exempt" does not mean that one is obligated to work overtime--that
depends on the individual contract. It only means that you are not going
to be paid premium rates--or, in some cases, paid at all for extra hours
worked. Again, the specifics depend on the contract. My early stint as
editorial freelancer had a 40-hr hard cap per week. This meant that if I
had a 60-hr week, I could take 2 1/2 days off the following week and
still sign a time card for 40 hours. The practice has since been
disallowed for hourly employees, but term employees get comp time where
I used to work--i.e., they get extra vacation time (or some equivalent)
exactly matching the overtime hours, but they get no extra salary for
overtime.

Whether overtime is mandatory or optional depends on contract. IKEA
allows workers to refuse overtime 8 times--after that, you're fired.

     VS-)